Friday, August 8, 2014

Spark and Inspire Question #3: The Hardest Part of Pursuing a Dream is...

photo credit



Question #3

The hardest part about pursuing a dream 
is . . .

Owning our story and loving ourselves through
that process is the bravest thing we will ever do.
-
Brene Brown


the tenacity, the determination, the drive, the risk, the stamina, the hard
work, the long days, the sleepless nights, the loneliness, the uncertainty,
the confusion, the discouragement, the frustration, the spirit draining, the
fatigue, the unknown.

And yet… something inside me cannot let go of dreaming. It reminds me of
hope and without hope what is the point of living?

Nolwenn Petitbois:

never giving up. But with time, and no matter how big or how small the
dream is, I realized that giving up was the easiest way out. The best way
not to be disappointed is to actually never get near the point we wanted to
arrive to. But what if the dreamers were true when saying that the harder
you work the greater the reward?

I believe that a dream can’t end up in your life if you did nothing for it,
absolutely nothing for it.

I may be wrong but this is how I see it, for me anyway.

Another very hard part about pursuing a dream is the trust issue. Feeling in
your gut that no matter how your dream will come true, it WILL come true
for sure. Sometimes, we envision a whole big map to go from the dream’s
seed to the dream in full bloom, set up a timeline even.

But once you trust and commit to go on despite the bumps on the roads,
each and every dream can come true.

Jean Simrose:

My dream has been an ever-changing challenge throughout my life. I am
interested in so many things that my focus has continually changed over
the years. I have been a licensed beautician, done accounting, worked for
an oil company and worked as a mental health social worker. Creating
things and working with my hands has always been a hobby. Making a
career of it has been the hardest part of pursuing this dream. I sometimes
question my talent and ability to make jewelry people will buy. I internalize
the negativity from others who don’t believe I can succeed. It is difficult not
to become disillusioned in my own ability to follow my dreams.

Surrounding myself with supportive, positive people who believe in me
helps me to follow my ultimate dream….creating things that people value
and inspiring others to follow their dreams as well.

Alease McClenningham:

. . . the naysayers.

There are so many people who are non-believers that they can derail your
dreams.

The important thing is to only listen to yourself and your needs.

It is important to surround yourself with positive people.

Kelly Warren:

I think the hardest part about pursuing a dream, first and foremost,
is taking that first step and putting it out there! And then the second
hardest part about pursuing that dream is remaining realistic about your
situation and what’s doable at whatever point you are in your life.

That means accepting that the dream may not happen tomorrow, or the
next day, or the next month, or even the next year. But as long as you keep
it out there and keep trying, even if it’s just inch by inch, hope springs
eternal.

That said, I think another aspect of that, which sticks with the reality
theme, is accepting when you need to take a step back and reevaluate. One
of my dreams is to have a retreat center and offer art retreats. I found the
perfect spot a couple years ago…if only I had 1.3 million dollars lying
around! So that’s when I had to reevaluate! I’ve still moved forward with
facilitating art retreats, but I had to reevaluate and figure out how I could
make it happen on a smaller scale, and that’s when Mermaids and Mamas
Artful Adventure was born: Purple Cottage Retreats. I still haven’t given up
on the big dream, just seeing what I can do in the meantime to get me
there.

Jan Avellana:

Having a vision of what you want to do, and where you want to go, but
being unable to pursue it wholeheartedly. Pursuing a dream is also difficult
because often, this pursuit entails sacrifice—money, time, emotion—and
these sacrifices may affect the people you live with, who depend on you to
be fully present for them and to provide financially for them. Sometimes
pursuing my artistic dreams feels too foolish, the price, too high to pay,
considering everyone involved. I am finding in my own creative journey,
that in order to pursue my creative dreams, I must also find a way to
supplement my earnings with an outside job—a challenge to be sure, with
two young children and a Hawaii-sized mortgage!

Sonya McCllough:

holding tight to the whisper of the dream.

The soft and delicate whisper is much like the wind.
Only felt ... never seen or heard by any other then the dreamer herself.


Stephanie Amos:

listening to your heart and ignoring everyone else who thinks you should
be doing something different with your life, including yourself. I believe I
have finally realized that I am an artist and creating art is what I should be
doing with my life. I can’t tell you how much of a burden has been lifted
from my shoulders in knowing that I am blessed with the opportunity to
pursue my dream now.

Now all I need to do is move forward with
ACCEPTANCE COURAGE and CONFIDENCE!

Kelly Thiel:

all the evil demons whispering in your ears about doubting yourself and
your art. And then, there are the nay-sayers in your circle of friends and
family, and they don’t always give you the strength and support you need.
Sometimes you feel awfully alone, and it is wonderful if you can find a
friend who shares your entrepreneurial spirit.


The other challenge for me is the balance. I have a baby and a preschooler,
so my attention is divided between my family and my business. Some days,
I feel super motivated to work, but then I am needed elsewhere. I want to
be present in my time with my girls, but thoughts of work often creep in, if
I’m not careful. To be successful in work and in motherhood is a constant
juggling act for me.




YOUR TURN:

The hardest part about pursuing a dream is . . .


 To purchase Spark and Inspire or Any of my Faith and Creativity Resources:

CLICK HERE

No comments: