Thursday, April 14, 2011

Artist Interview: Jill Metz


 
Name: Jill Metz
Name of Business: TRU Original LLC
Creative Influences: God, nature, family. When I think about an artist that inspires me most I’m surprised by my answer, Picasso. His work is so free and diverse. You could see that he was on a creative journey and not afraid to explore the limitlessness of ART. As far as influences go, I think I have truly been impacted by every artist I have ever seen, especially my mother.
Preferred Medium of Creativity: Mixed Medium and Collage, though I love abstract too.

Bio I have been married to the love of my life for 12 years and have been Blessed with 2 children, a girl11yrs, and a boy 10 yrs.
I went to college for a year where I took classes in art, psychology, and child development. I’m mostly a self - taught artist who has had the pleasure of taking many amazing art courses and workshops all over the country in the last 10 years. I have owned my creative business for 4 years and enjoy watching it grow and evolve according to God’s perfect timing.  

Links: www.truoriginal.com
Blog: http://truoriginal.blogspot.com/


  What is one of your earliest creative memories? I come from a very long line of creative women on my mother’s side and I feel like it has been a Blessing passed down through each generation.  One of my earliest memories is helping my mom collect flattened soda and beer cans so that she could paint a character on them, according to the shape of the can. As a 6 year old, it was so amazing to see my mom bring a piece of discarded trash to life.

Did your creative habits make a smooth transition into your adult life?  What did the evolution look like? Smooth? NO!  I believed for a very long time that my “creative habits” were more of a curse than a Blessing since I saw and did things in a very different way than most people. “Why can’t I be normal?” I would think. It has only been in the last 10 years that I have truly embraced this side of myself and stopped fighting God’s gift to me.

If you had a creative hiatus, what event/circumstance brought you back to your creative lifestyle? I spent most of my 20’s trying to live “mainstream” and really blocked my creative reality, which caused me to make some very poor choices. I was trying to fill the hole in my heart. I didn’t acknowledge God, I didn’t acknowledge my true self. After some time and really hitting one of many bottoms, I let Him back into my life and I let HimHimHim do for me, what I couldn’t do for myself, which was heal the brokenness of my childhood.  

How has GOD been a part of your creative process/lifestyle? Most of the time when I work on a piece, I invite the Holy Spirit into my art. It is very evident in my results when I have forgotten God in the process. It truly amazes me how He does that.  So when I paint well…it is HimThe same holds true in my daily life. When things are good, it’s Him and when they suck, it’s me.


Is there a particular moment where your creativity became infused into a spiritual practice? I work every day to put God first in all that I do. I say work because this is not always easy for me. Sometimes it is, but mostly it is a choice I have to make daily. 

What are you working on currently? I have been playing a lot with ink and alcohol (not what you think) and enjoying the abstract results very much. Since I work very intuitively, trying to let God lead, I never know how any of my art work will turn out. Recently, I began taking a figurative painting class and enjoy getting back to the fundamentals though it is a bit challenging. Like Picasso, I too am on a creative journey and I’m so enjoying the ride.

2 comments:

Jill said...

It is such an honor to be supported by you in my art and on my journey of Faith. Thank You!May we continue to always put God in the center of all we are doing.
Love and prayers to you my friend xo

sonyamacdesigns said...

collaborating with HIM ... love it