Wednesday, July 22, 2015

My Creative Peace Book Review: The Navy Seal Art of War by Rob Roy


I have a confession.  I was born to be a leader.  I thrive at the helm.  I enjoy collaboration but I am also not afraid to made the final decision in a situation.  I do not spend time agonizing over whether I made the right choice.  Even if down the road I find that another decision would have fit the situation more efficiently, I own what I did, acknowledge my mistake and move on.  I will admit that may not align with what most people perceive creative people to be like but this is how I am.  Perhaps having developed the creative side of my brain later in life caused this juxtaposition.

That said, I was incredibly excited to read Mr. Roy's book.  As many of you now, I am a military wife.  What you may not know is I am the daughter of a highly decorated Vietnam Veteran, my brother served as an Army Ranger and my son is now an Airman.  So my personality and my lineage absolutely drew me to this book.  And I was not disappointed.  Many of the topics that Mr. Roy discussed could easily translate to decision making in general and not simply corporate leadership, though most of what he discussed was based on his experiences with working with high level corporate professionals.  I appreciated that the book is in essay form so that I was able to take deep dives into the material as time permitted or take 15 minutes with a topic that caught my eye.

If you are looking for an interesting and thought provoking perspective on leadership, you should give them book a read.


NOTE: I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments: