Friday, October 19, 2012

Artist Interview: MCatherine Lunsford



Name: MCatherine

Name of Business: Hide A Heart

Creative Influences: My Mother, Classical Music, Fine Art, and Nature

Preferred Medium of Creativity:

My preferred medium of creativity is that of being a performing artist, writing my own poetry and music, + handmade gifts for friends.

Brief Bio: I am the former Polydor recording artist MARY CATHERINE LUNSFORD and Oregon Symphony Pops Mezzo-Soprano MCATHERINE. My husband and I have been married for 39 years and we have two sons and two granddaughters.

Social Media Links:


Hide A Heart Links:



What is one of your earliest creative memories?  

When I was four years old I used a chair to climb up on to a table to dance and sing. From that moment on I sang every day of my life from the moment my feet hit the floor in the morning until I lay my head down on the pillow at night until reaching the age of 42. My mother set a timer every day for two 30-minute periods during which I was NOT allowed to sing!

How did you find your creative voice?  

Singing was my creative voice of expression for as long as I can remember. 

Did your creative habits make a smooth transition into your adult life?  What did the evolution look like? 

Perfectly smooth until I turned 42 and was forced to realize I needed to draw upon the larger canopy of my being as an ARTIST above being a singer and luckily, being an Artist helped me create a path for reinvention

If you had a creative hiatus, what event/circumstance brought you back to your creative lifestyle?

After developing head-neck cancer, I could no longer perform professionally. I struggled at sea with no rudder casting about for reinvention for about sixteen years. It was when my husband asked me about the little heart game we play I realized creating positive meaningfulness for others with glass hearts would reignite my own spirit-driven passion

Is there a particular moment where your creativity became infused into a spiritual practice?

Peering into the eyes of my newborn son and realizing I was now responsible for another life and thing, “Oh My Gosh, am I prepared to do this?!” Reading SUCCESS IS THE QUALITY OF YOUR JOURNEY by Jennifer James when I turned 40 created a significant paradigm shift. When diagnosed with cancer, I began journaling to sort out my thoughts through which occurred a fusion of body and mind with spirit. Realizing there is a finite amount of time in which to make a difference in small but significant ways.
  
What are you working on currently? 

Writing my memoir, creating hearts and inventing ways that Hide A Heart inspires people to express affection.
  
Is there one particular thing that you do that ushers you into a place of worship?

I live deliberately, practice good custody of my health and take daily notice of the beauty in the world God created.

Sacred vs. Scared –same letters, two different outcomes.  Your thoughts? 

For me being scared is the catalyst that often creates another way having faith can lead to the sacred.  It is an opportunity to redirect fear into introspection, and positive outcome that enriches my journey of life.  

Favorite Quote?

“Nothing is impossible. The very word says, ‘I’m Possible’! Audrey Hepburn

“Linger” Question- food for thought to leave with the readers 

My recent realization is that all our experiences of loss while living life on earth is preparation for the ultimate loss of our earthly life and that everything we use, love and know here is only temporarily borrowed.

 CLICK HERE to purchase the e-book of this Interview series for $4.99

No comments: