Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Artist Interview: Olivia Moore



Name:  Olivia Moore
Name of Business: The Saturated Palette
Creative Influences: nature, literature, and my children
Preferred Medium of Creativity:  Painting, Sewing, Writing

Brief Bio:  I’m Olivia, currently living in Minneapolis, married to Matt, my creative partner and fellow dreamer.  We have two kids, Hudson and Harper.  I have a B.A. in English, words have always been my first love.  When I was 18, I discovered the magic of the paintbrush. Sometimes I paint with brushes and others with words.  Being a mother has shown me that creativity is essential to every part of my life and to finding peace and sanity.  What I’m saying is that creativity keeps me sane and I will stand by that statement forever.  In addition to painting, I enjoy sewing and encouraging others to discover how their creativity connects them to God.
 
Links
Shop:  www.saturatedpalette.etsy.com
Blog: http://saturatedpalette.blogspot.com
Shop:  www.furthermorecreative.etsy.com
Instagram: saturatedpalette


What is one of your earliest creative memories? 
I remember writing stories in a little green, red, and yellow notebook about a land of horses and birds with names like Chocolate, Cinnamon, and Vanilla.  They are tucked safely away with my a childhood treasures and absolutely silly.

How did you find your creative voice? 
I suppose that I always felt creative and most of all, my parents always encouraged to be so.  However, you know how words can stay with you forever? When I was in 3rd grade, two of my best friends at the time told me that I never matched.  I blame my mom, she let me dress myself.  But for the longest time, that hurt me and one day, I can’t remember when, I realized I was never trying to match. I didn’t want to be just like everyone else and I loved being unique and creative. That is a battle we all face over and over again, but when you understand that we were each created by the most creative being that ever will exist, it becomes a comfort. I mean, we were created this way ON PURPOSE and that is something to celebrate.    I would have to say that the last five years have been defining in my creative journey, something about being out of college, married, and a mother has really made me aware that I am an artist, that no matter how long it has been since I painted, I still am and always will be. It might not what I am doing daily, but it’s who I am.

Did your creative habits make a smooth transition into your adult life?  What did the evolution look like?  
My creative habits really came to life when I graduated  from college.  I found myself married to this wonderful, creative, supportive dreamer, who said, what do you want to do, do that.  Now as a mother it takes serious work to keep creating a priority, but I can’t say enough how creativity keeps me sane.  I truly believe we all make time for the things we want to do, but we have to decide and weed out the extra that stands in your way.  In general, I will choose a creative project first, when I’m done and satisfied, washing the dishes doesn’t seem so unpleasant.  

 
How has GOD been a part of your creative process/lifestyle?   
I believe that creativity is a gift.  It allows us to share truth, beauty, hope, etc. with others and it helps us process life.  It also is a direct way to connect to God.  When I am creative, I feel closer to God than any other time.  (I feel the same way when I’m standing in front of the ocean, side note.)  Sometimes, when I’m painting, getting lost in the brush strokes, what transforms on the canvas is often just what I need to see.  I read once in a book called, Windows of Soul, Ken Gyre, that through art we reach for God and he reaches for us.  


Is there a particular moment where your creativity became infused into a spiritual practice?  
I can’t pinpoint a moment, exactly, but more and more it becomes an act of worship, or a pray, or just an offering of gratitude.  I think that when we are creative and fully alive, God is most glorified.

 CLICK HERE to purchase the e-book of this Interview series for $4.99

No comments: