Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Artist Interview: Cathy Craveiro

Name: Cathy Craveiro
Name of Business: mateo & tobias
Creative Influences: my parents, Martha Stewart, other fabulous artists that I have connected.
Preferred Medium of Creativity: digital art in Photoshop, paper art, and sewing



Brief Bio - I am a wife, a stay-at-home-mama, and the creator behind mateo & tobias. I enjoy all things crafty - sewing, scrapbooking, card making, digital design, web design, and photography.

When I am not on my sewing machine, in front of the computer using Photoshop or cutting paper and cardstock, I love to read, take pictures, cook, bake, and garden.  But my favorite thing above everything else is time spent with my boys.


Links -
Etsy shop
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest



What is one of your earliest creative memories? 
 My earliest creative memories include using acrylics and painting wildlife animals on canvas.  I loved taking photos from magazines that I would get out of the library and paint away.  I also loved to sew animals and design clothes for myself (like my grade 12 graduation dress). 




How did you find your creative voice? 

I was always interested in art and explored many different avenues.  From painting, to sewing, to scrapbooking, to card making, to digital design, to photography.  I love to experiment and try different things.  If something interested me I had to try it.  

 


Did your creative habits make a smooth transition into your adult life?  What did the evolution look like?  
I love experimenting with different things.  During my school years, everything was just for my fun and enjoyment.  As I got older I enjoyed creating things to sell at craft fairs and before my oldest son was born I sold premade scrapbook pages and scrapbooking elements through eBay and now plush toys and wall art prints on Etsy.  I have absolutely loved my journey.

If you had a creative hiatus, what event/circumstance brought you back to your creative lifestyle? 

After my first child was born (and then my second), I stopped selling on eBay because I wanted to devote my time to being a full-time Mama and enjoy every moment with my sweet children.  As my youngest got older, I found that I really missed creating. I didn't want to go back to creating and selling scrapbook pages on eBay, so pondered what else I enjoyed doing. I love sewing. I love graphic design and art. I love photography. What could I do?  I started designing wall prints for my kid's rooms and absolutely fell in love with doing this. I then decided to offer them for sale on Etsy. I love color. I love typography. I love design. Wall prints were the perfect answer to my obsession with these three things. So here I am today, at this present moment. I have so many ideas in my head, that I keep a journal with the ideas written down, so I don't forget them!

How has GOD been a part of your creative process/lifestyle? 
I want to use the gifts that God has given me for His honor and glory.   Every good gift and every perfect gift comes from above. (James 1:17)  You will often find me listening to Christian music and sermons no matter what I am doing…work around the house and work on my business.  I love this verse - “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15)

Is there a particular moment where your creativity became infused into a spiritual practice?  
When I am creating I love to listen to music.  A few of my favorite artists are Hillsong, Jeremy Camp and Casting Crowns.  I'll also have sermons on throughout the day.  I love listening to John McArthur and John Piper.  I have a few Christian themed prints in my shop and am planning to create more that are centered around Bible verses.

Favorite Quote?
I love these quotes – “She Believed She Could, So She Did”, “Shoot for the moon even if you miss you'll land among the stars”, and these Bible verses “I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me” and "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding".

CLICK HERE to purchase the e-book of this Interview series for $4.99

No comments: