Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Artist Interview: Stephanie Amos

 
Name:  Stephanie Amos
Name of Business:  MuddyPotts
Creative Influences: nature, walks, art
Preferred Medium of Creativity: clay (at the moment)


BIO:
Drawing was my first love, and then I discovered many doors that lead to endless creations of the imagination. It's the process that I am drawn to, whether it’s starting with a blank canvas, a ball of clay or a sheet of wax. Each medium I work in has its own unique process, and it's those differences that make it difficult for me to choose just one to work with. I have been painting abstracts since the early 90's. It wasn't until I went back to school that I started to explore other avenues. In 1999, I studied at NYU in Florence, Italy. It was there that sculpture and photography became my main interests and I developed a greater admiration for art history.

 What is one of your earliest creative memories?

 Besides drawing circles and calling it my grocery list? I remember sculpting a horse and cowboy out of play dough in preschool.

How did you find your creative voice?

Both of my parents are creative in their own ways, so I suppose tapping into creativity happened at an early age for me. I remember drawing when I was really young and it continued until I was in high school. Years later, I decided creating art was what I wanted to do with my life.

Did your creative habits make a smooth transition into your adult life?  What did the evolution look like?

Well, not at first. When I was nineteen, I ran off to Alaska to work in the commercial fishing industry. I was gone for quite some time and going through a period of finding myself. A big turning point was when I decided to return to school and major in art. It was then that creating became a burning desire and I’ve had the passion ever since. 


 If you had a creative hiatus, what event/circumstance brought you back to your creative lifestyle?
           
            I would have to say it was just after I met my husband. My life was changing from what I had known to a new beginning. Like the beginning of  a new chapter, only this was the beginning of my new life. It had been almost two years since I had created anything. It was a very sad time. But then when I picked up my brushes again, my work had evolved into the new life that I had. It was amazing!  And I am so grateful to GOD for bringing us together and for my husband for all his love and support.
           
 How has GOD been a part of your creative process/lifestyle?

            I remember as a child that I would stare up at the colorful sky thinking about GOD and what an amazing artist HE is. I think from that moment on, I have always felt his presence while working in my creative endeavors. 


Is there a particular moment where your creativity became infused into a spiritual practice?
           
            I think that when you are in the zone, it has become its own spiritual practice. At least for me.

CLICK HERE to meet other AMAZING artists

 CLICK HERE to purchase the e-book of this Interview series for $4.99

5 comments:

Eclectic Suzi said...

Great interview and beautiful pottery!!!

Cindy said...

I love Stephanie's work, I just haven't been around her place much lately...thanks for the push in that direction! I love your Friday artist interviews, too, Robin...blessings!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for sharing Stephanie's work, Robin! Lovely pottery. I am off to her etsy shop . .

Kelly said...

Great interview! I enjoyed reading it and seeing the lovely pics :)
Thanks, ladies!!

Jennifer @ Studio JRU said...

Love these interviews! Stephanie's work is amazing. I love how she says her preferred medium is clay... at the moment. There are so many great mediums out there. I totally get exploring them all! :)