Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Artist Interview: Beth Stone

Name: Beth Stone
Name of Business: Beth Stone Studio

Creative Influences:

There are so many… a few that come to mind are:
My family – I grew up in a creative environment. Both of my parents and my brother and I were always making something.
C.S. Lewis – his books sparked my imagination.
Francis Schaeffer – he made me realize the power of art to express ideas and worldview.
Ginny Wall (http://www.etsy.com/shop/AllNatureSings?ref=ss_profile) – a dear friend and the lady who introduced me to the wonderful world of watercolor.
Geninne Zlatkis (http://blogdelanine.blogspot.com/) – her work and blog have been a huge influence on my own work and business.

Preferred Medium of Creativity: At the moment, I'm really enjoying watercolors and collage. However, I also work in oils and acrylics. Each medium has its own strengths and weaknesses – I enjoy the variety and challenge of working with them all!


Brief Bio:
30-year-old wife to Josh, mom to a furry grouch named Harvey, daughter, sister, aunt, friend, artist, crafter and do-it-yourself-er, aspiring gardener, avid reader, collector-of-too-many-hobbies, photographer, neat-freak, blogger, lover of row boats and valiant mice, sinner saved by grace...

Beth Stone (specializing in watercolors, oils, acrylics, mixed media, and custom murals) was born in Johnson City, TN. She graduated valedictorian from Milligan College in ‘03 with a Bachelor of Arts in English and minors in photography and journalism. She is primarily self-taught in the arts, with the exception of a few college classes and independent workshops. She currently resides in Greeneville, TN with her husband, Josh. Her primary goal, both in her artwork and her life, is to glorify Her Creator by conveying His truth and beauty to a dark world.




Links
Blog:  http://www.bethstonestudio.com
Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/bethstonestudio
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/bethstonestudio
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/bethstonestudio

  1. What is one of your earliest creative memories?

Once when I was probably around 5 or 6 I spent the day writing my own newspaper and then making a newspaper stand for it out of a cardboard box. I decided that day that I should make something creative every single day. I haven't followed through quite every day since then, but I do make it a point to pursue creativity in my daily life.

  1. How did you find your creative voice?
Well, first of all, I try to stick to the guidelines in Philippians 4:8: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. After that, my goal is to create beautiful, inspiring, and thought-provoking work. I've gotten lots of inspiration from other wonderful artists and writers (like the ones I mentioned above), but I'm also inspired by nature, books I read, music, theology, people I know, etc. Inspiration is all around if you're looking for it. 


  1. Did your creative habits make a smooth transition into your adult life?  What did the evolution look like?
Creativity has always been a big part of my life. My parents home schooled my brother and me, and that gave us the freedom to pursue a lot of different interests and hobbies while we were growing up. When I was in college, most of my time was taken up by my studies; however, I did manage to squeeze in a few art and photography classes, which were a nice creative outlet during that time. After graduating, I continued to pursue my interests in art. I discovered the blogosphere and created my first fledgling blog featuring some of my artwork. Then, I got a request to paint a mural for a friend's child's room, and suddenly, my business was born. Since then, I've branched out into a new blog, an Etsy shop, and the occasional art show. I have a small studio set up in our apartment, and I'm always in the middle of some project or other…


  1. If you had a creative hiatus, what event/circumstance brought you back to your creative lifestyle?

Like most artists, I do suffer from the occasional "dry spell." Last year was a very stressful period in our lives – my husband was gone for several months taking care of a very dear friend who was ill and eventually died of cancer, I was working at another job nearly full time, we were making some major life changes which involved my husband going back to school, etc. – it was a hard time personally, and that drained a lot of my creative energy. During times like that, I've learned it's best to just roll with it and wait it out. The inspiration returns eventually… In the meantime, I find other "creative" outlets, like knitting, sewing, gardening, reading/writing, or simply keeping my house presentable. :o) 

 How has GOD been a part of your creative process/lifestyle?

My faith is the foundation for my entire worldview, and thus, all of my work comes out of that influence. Because we are created in the image of God, and God is creative, we have the gift of creativity in ourselves, and we are to use it for His glory. That’s my goal in every piece I create…  


  1. Is there a particular moment where your creativity became infused into a spiritual practice?
I've always wanted my work to be used to glorify God…. However, writing a blog has really opened my eyes to the potential influence of both my artwork and my words. It's easy to feel like you're writing to a void when you write a post on the web, but when you start getting comments from complete strangers all over the world, it's a bit of a wake up call. I've been contacted by readers who are believers who have been encouraged and blessed by seeing my work, as well as by unbelievers who have stumbled across my site.

One reader (an unbeliever) wrote me and said, "Your work has a beauty and vibrancy to it that one doesn't often see in the art world these days. Does that come from your Christian faith?" That question opened the door for me to share the Gospel with that person and plant a seed…

Ever since that time, I've been much more aware that my work and words have the potential to influence people for eternity, and I am doing my best to take that responsibility seriously and represent Christ faithfully. We are all stewards of the gifts we have been given… that fact is both humbling and exciting….

 CLICK HERE to meet other creatives

 CLICK HERE to purchase the e-book of this Interview series for $4.99

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Having known Beth for the last 23+ years in real life, I can vouch for her authenticity in her life and her artwork. Great interview and talented artist!

Jenni C's said...

i love Beth's work,and her blog she is an inspiration to me..lovely interview...

LindaD said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

LindaD said...

What a terrific interview and gifted subject! You BOTH inspire me! Linda

Sarah C. Geraci said...

The ship picture is amazing.

Cindy said...

Thanks for another great interview - I was just thinking about her work the other day, and seeing her here is just like a little kiss from God!

Blessings!

Jennifer @ Studio JRU said...

I love hearing more about Beth. I have long admired her art! I love that she made a newspaper... and a newspaper stand! That is fantastic! :) Planting seeds, really that is such a special and wonderful gift to share.