Thursday, February 12, 2015

Life Coach in the Hot Seat: Life Advice for my Children





Full disclosure. 
 I have had the chance to try my hand at parenting twice.   

Once as a 20 year old and once as a 37 year old.   
Clearly the 37 year old has figured some things out – thank God.  

 The 20 year old had no family support and was truly a baby when she was getting started though she did not realize it.  I could almost change this question and write a letter to that 20 year old mother.

Here are some thoughts that I feel like have held the test of time in both settings:

1.       God extends a ton of mercy and grace in the areas where you have made mistakes with your kids.  I can see that I was trying to figure out how to be a grown up at the same time as trying to be a mother and man oh man.  I just feel like I am better at this things now.  I don’t take it personally when my child gets angry and says she doesn’t like me.  I have a vision for my children’s future and part of my job as a parent is to teach them about good and bad influences in the world in the areas of people and places and circumstance they do not need to get mixed up in.

2.       God helps you to raise your children.  When I had no idea how to handle a situation the bible was very helpful for teaching me how to love to be patient to be kind in the midst of terrible twos and tweens and teens and even as a grow into adulthood (though I will admit this stage if even harder because you are watching how all that mothering plays out).

3.        Apologize for the mistake you have made, are making and continue to make but DO NOT become a doormat to your child’s out of line behaviors or attitude toward you.  There is a reason why love is sometimes tough

4.       Discipline and boundaries = love just like hugs and kisses do

What are some of your time tested truths from parenthood?  

 Share them in the comments or add a link to your post below

No comments: