Thursday, January 29, 2015

Life Coach in the Hot Seat: The Most Creative Present I've Ever Received


The most creative present I’ve ever received…

The first thing that came to mind is a box of Golden Books that I received as a Christmas present.  I was about 8 years old and I loved to read.  Most of my books would come from the library.  So this was very special to me for a couple of reasons:

1.       There was a collection of about 10 or 15
2.       They were mine to keep
3.       They were my very own.  


The third reason is important to mention because I am the oldest of 4 children.  And pretty much every year due to modest resources, we would receive presents from Santa that had ALL OF OUR NAMES on the tag in the ‘to’ section.  To have a this collection all to myself… well something about it felt like I was being treated like a big kid.
                              
Years later when I would read bios of creatives who I admire, they would mention the name “Mary Blair” as someone who inspired them.    Her name came up A LOT.  One day I decided to find out who Mary Blair was.  Lo and behold she was the illustrator of many of the books in the Golden Books series, many of the ones that I remember as loved as a child. 

I picked up a treasury collection of Mary Blair’s work recently and was immediately reminded of another reason I loved this collection of books:  the illustrations.  Page after page of joy and whimsy… the things I craved and continue to pray in my quest for a fulfilling life.

What about you? 
 Share in the comments your most creative present or post a link and I will come by to check it out.

No comments: