Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Artist Interview: Vanessa Renee

Name: Vanessa Renee
Name of Business: Gingerbloo
Shop Link: CLICK HERE
Creative Influences: The Holy Spirit, sculpture, trees, the sky, the sun, fabric, animals
Preferred Medium of Creativity: clay, paper, gemstones




Brief Bio:
Ever since I was a little girl, I've loved music. I remember times when I would grab the kitchen mop, close my eyes, tilt my head over my left shoulder and become Barbara Streisand or Diana Ross. I was sure that I was destined to be an entertainer.

I've spent many years since those early days, trying to discover, (like most people), what made me happy...really happy. I've had a few different careers(CPA, Project Manager, etc…), but with each change, the peace, calm and settled feeling I was looking for didn't come....until.... I walked into work one day and quit my job - with no plan for what I would do the next day, weeks or months.

During those stay at home years it was finally quiet enough to hear my heart beat again. I began using my hands to create custom crafted paper, dolls, wall murals, jewelry and music. On one of those days, I was called "artist".

It has been many years since my Barbara and Diana days, but I have discovered (much to the delight of all within earshot) that my vocal chords are not the instrument of my voice, but rather my hands are.

My epiphany has been in realizing that I was born to compose. My artwork pieces are the songs my hands sing.


  1. What is one of your earliest creative memories?
    1. The desire to do a great job on an art project for a middle school art class.  I did not think I had a creative bone in my body, but I desperately wanted to make something the teacher would think was a nice piece of art.
  2. How did you find your creative voice?
    1. A few years ago, I stopped working outside of the home to focus on the family – my husband and two daughters.  Work had tired me to the bone.  I needed a break and wanted to spend more time with my children.  During those days I started making hand made paper, clay dolls, journals, jewelry, and collages.  I wore one of my jewelry pieces into a museum shop one afternoon and the store purchaser bought several of my pieces to sell.  It was a real eye opener for me.
  3. Did your creative habits make a smooth transition into your adult life?
      1. Yes.  In college my art was expressed through my clothes.  I put together outfits that always drew compliments and conversation.  
    1. What did the evolution look like?
      1. As an adult, I frequented fabric stores and extended my love of color and texture into various forms of art – jewelry, books, etc…  
  4. If you had a creative hiatus, what event/circumstance brought you back to your creative lifestyle?
    1. I stopped creating for over a year to focus on work (yes, I re-entered the work force) and major projects I was assigned to.  The drain of a day’s work and the lact of creativity I was able to include in my daily life, made me re-evaluate how I was spending my time.
  5. How has GOD been a part of your creative process/lifestyle?
    1. Everything I do, I do because of my love of God.  He is my everything.  He taught me what Love is and so everything that springs from my heart is due to Him allowing it to continue to beat.  I love Him with all that I am. 
    2.  
    3.  CLICK HERE to purchase the e-book of this Interview series for $4.99
    4.  

1 comment:

Jane said...

Wonderful interview! I love reading about how artists got started. As for me, I used to love spending hours by myself as a little girl playing with a big doll house that was my mother's. I was very imaginative :) It never surprises me that I love to play with colors and patterns.