Thursday, May 5, 2011

Artist Interview: Mustard Seed Interiors

 
Name: Marian (Miss Mustard Seed)
Name of Business: Mustard Seed Interiors
Creative Influences: French provincial style and American farmhouses
Preferred Medium of Creativity: Paint and fabric


Brief Bio
Mustard Seed Interiors is a small business that was born out of a love for antiques, decorating on a budget, and giving old pieces of furniture new life.  For over ten years, Marian, the designer and owner, has loved transforming second hand finds, hunting for unique antiques, and designing functional and beautiful spaces in her home and the homes of her friends and family.  In 2008, this passion for DIY and Home Décor became Mustard Seed Interiors.  
Mustard Seed Interiors currently sells antiques, refurbished furniture, and handmade accessories for your home at The Old Lucketts Store in Leesburg, VA, Wild Rose & Co. Marketplace in Walkersville, MD, Chartreuse & Co. in Frederick, MD, through Miss Mustard Seed’s Creative Blog, and at antique fairs in the mid-Atlantic region. 
Marian is also known as Miss Mustard Seed, the author of a DIY and decorating blog, Miss Mustard Seed’s Creative Blog and is a freelance writer for HGTV.com and Cottages & Bungalows magazine .  Her work has also been featured in Romantic Homes magazine (January 2011) and online at  Houzz,  Apartment Thearapy and many DIY/Home Decorating blogs.

What is one of your earliest creative memories?

My earliest creative memories all revolve around music.  My parents had me singing as a toddler and encouraged me in that endeavor.  As far as interior design, I loved touring the castles of Europe when we live in Germany.  I would drool over the furniture, even as a fourth grader!

 
Did your creative habits make a smooth transition into your adult life?  What did the evolution look like?

I majored in musical theatre in college, but left that when I got married and entered corporate America.  My creativity began to spill out into my home.  I soon discovered I had a real love and passion for interior design and budget makeovers.  I also discovered a draw to antiques and European influences, which certainly comes from my childhood.  

If you had a creative hiatus, what event/circumstance brought you back to your creative lifestyle?

When I had my first son, I gave up on decorating for a while.  I was discouraged that all accessories below four feet had to be put away.  After having my second son, I was at a low point and was encouraged to put my creativity to good use and start a business.  The business and my creativity blossomed.  



How has GOD been a part of your creative process/lifestyle?

My business is named after a bible verse in Luke that refers to faith.  Mustard Seed Interiors reminds me that this business is based on faith and is ultimately in His hands.  I know my talents and success are God given.  

Is there a particular moment where your creativity became infused into a spiritual practice?

My business and creative endeavors have been bathed in prayer.  We pray about decisions, antique fairs, successful sales, the blog, everything.  It has really surprised me what an encouragement my blog has been to other sisters in Christ who are at a low point and want to start their own business.  That was a blessing I didn’t really expect.  

What are you working on currently?

I am always working on several projects at one time.  I have a hand painted dresser in the works as well as some Christmas craft projects for 2011 and renovations in my 1940’s home.  


CLICK HERE to purchase the e-book of this Interview series for $4.99

No comments: